Organizations throughout the energy industry have a broad variety of compute-intensive applications well suited for distributed computing. Among the earliest and largest users of 3-D modeling and simulation tools, exploration and production companies can gain significant improvements in application performance from the Digipede Network grid computing solution.
Energy Industry Gets a Boost from Digipede
From oil exploration operations to electric and gas utilities, the energy industry can improve its business performance in a number of ways the Digipede Network grid computing solution:
- Faster Analytics. With the Digipede Network, your toughest computational problems can be solved quickly and cost-effectively, without a steep learning curve or expensive consultants. Specialized models like PROMOD IV, simulations of hydroelectric system operations, training of neural networks used in short-term load forecasts, optimal capacity expansion models, optimization of transmission and distribution operations and other activities that tax the computing power of a single server will be lightning fast when run across the Digipede Network.
- More Accurate Simulations. Improved accuracy in simulation of reservoir operations can result in significant increases in the total lifetime production. Many aspects of reservoir simulation models are well suited to distributed computing, but the needless complexity and expense of competing solutions have prevented most companies from realizing the significant gains available in this area.
- Greater Productivity. Digipede enables you to link a few dozen to a few hundred existing workstations and servers together to speed the execution of critical models. Your engineers can explore more operating scenarios and find the best approach for your business. Imagine what your best minds can do with a 10- or 100-fold increase in available computing power!
- Better Risk Management. As the energy industry focuses more on risk management in trading, the Digipede Network can greatly accelerate Value-at-Risk analysis and other techniques requiring extensive simulations. A simple installation of the Digipede Network in a single department, using only the power of the desktops and servers already installed, can result in dramatic performance improvements. Jobs that previously ran overnight can be executed in a few minutes, allowing your analysts to explore a much richer set of parameters that contribute to total risk.
- Fewer Bottlenecks. Restructured wholesale and retail energy markets have spawned an entire industry segment in scheduling, billing, and settlements in which application performance is directly related to bottom-line performance. These markets are plagued by the bottleneck of overnight software runs in order to calculate multi-billion dollar payments. Digipede is intimately familiar with the structure of these complex systems, and has designed an API that lets you easily spread the load across dozens or hundreds of processors, thereby relieving computational bottlenecks.
- Fast, Positive ROI. When billions of dollars are at stake, faster calculations help you reduce float significantly. The Digipede Network can generate a compelling return on investment quickly, even on a relatively small scale to start.
- Pure .NET. The Digipede Network is built entirely on Microsoft .NET and integrates deeply into multiple points of Microsoft's stack. Our API provides access to all the capabilities of the Digipede Network through the tools you already know in Visual Studio.
Contact Us to Learn More
To learn how energy companies and utilities can benefit from the Digipede Network, please contact us. We'll be glad to discuss your organization's particular objectives and technical infrastructure, and then recommend best next steps.